Tuesday, September 15, 2015

You can't find better gumbo anywhere else

Hey there folks, how are you all doing on this lovely wipitup Wednesday? I'm sorry I missed posting last week, I was eyeballs deep in editing Deceptive Desires, (title tentative). You'll be happy to know it's been sent to the publishers and will hopefully release right around Halloween. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Can we just get to the snippet, Mel. I'm curious what this gumbo business is all about. 

Yellow, your such an impatient Imp, sheesh! 
Just to set the stage so to speak. Last time we left off with Landon having fought a bunch of vile smelling vamps. His mothers spirit appeared to him and told him to go to New Orleans in search of Laynett Piers and a woman name Marie. Let's see what happens now that Landon's made it to New Orleans. 

“Good afternoon, Ms. Piers. I’m Landon Reed, here for the interview.” When she looked up from her desk, he was met with the most amazing pair of eyes he’d ever seen. He wasn’t even sure what color he would call them. They looked almost the color of honey, but with flecks of emerald green in them.

“Mr. Reed.” She smiled, studying him for a moment. “Please come in and have a seat,” she said, gesturing to the chair in front of her desk.


Damn, if she wasn’t the most striking woman he’d ever seen. Her hair looked like spun silk, short, a bit wavy as it tapered beneath her ears. Her soft, creamy complexion and petite frame made his cocks stir uncontrollably in his pants. She looked like Reese Witherspoon, Charliez Theron, and Kate Winslet all rolled into one very enticing package. Her beige satin blouse lay open in the front just enough to expose a hint of her small breasts and although he couldn’t see much of her bottom half, he imagined it to be just as fine as the rest of her.

“Thank you,” he said, while pulling the chair out to allow himself some leg room.  As he sat down, he gave her his most dazzling smile, but she probably didn’t notice as she leafed through the stack of applications on her desk.

“I see your from West Virginia. What’s brought you all the way to New Orleans?” she asked without looking up from the application she held in her hands.

“I visited once with my parents and have always wanted to come back. I think it’s an exciting place to live and you can’t find better gumbo anywhere else.” Ugh, what a lame answer.

Her dazzling eyes peeked up at him for a moment, then back to the paper. “Are you enrolled in college, or plan to be?” A slender hand reached over a few inches to grab a pen, French tips on her nails. His eyes followed her fingers as she brought the pen to her notepad, tapping on it.

“Not at this time,” he said, noticing she appeared to be studying him again.

“What experience do you have with customer relations?”

“I worked a couple of summers as a clerk in a gas station.” He didn’t stand a chance. She was looking for someone with previous experience, someone who knew the ins and outs of a ritzy hotel business. “I realize I may not have as much experience as you’d like, but I learn fast and take pride in doing my job well.”

“How well do you think you’d tolerate the graveyard shift?”

“I can adjust to any schedule you need me for. The bottom line for me, is that I need a job. I’ve applied for every help wanted ad I could find despite my age or lack of experience. I’m a hard worker and if you give me half a chance, I promise to prove that to you.” Geez, now it sounded like he was begging.

A stiff smile encased her lips. “The graveyard shift is a lonely job. Should you be considered for employment with us, you’ll be spending your nights alone. You’d train on the day shift under Janelle, but after that, aside from the security guards you’d be on your own and expected to stay busy. Are you familiar with computers?”

“I feel I have sufficient knowledge when it comes to computers.”
She scribbled something on her notepad and then wrote something on the top of his application. “Do you have any questions for me?”

Tons, but none related to the job he was being considered for. “Yes, ma’am. Is this a full time position, and will it require me to work weekends or overtime?”

“The schedule is Monday thru Friday, forty hours a week. Although, in the event our weekend employee cannot for whatever reason make their shift we would ask that you be available to cover for them on short notice. Does that present a problem for you?” she asked, putting the pen down and clasping her hands over the notepad.

“Oh no. Not at all, I was just wondering.” He gave her a modest smile, trying hard to keep his eyes from veering to her breasts.

“Thank you for your time, Landon. I’ll be in touch should our team decide you’re the best candidate for the job. If you don’t hear from me sometime next week it means you were not considered at this time, but we’ll keep your application on file for up to one year.” She stood as she finished her words, offering to shake his hand. Landon could tell by the dismissive look in her eyes, she had already crossed him off the list.

“Thank you for the opportunity.” He took her hand, shaking it lightly. The mild scent of her perfume waft under his nose, sending signals to his groin he fought to control. “I look forward to hearing back from you and if considered for the position I can assure, you won’t be disappointed.” Releasing her hand, he gave her his best smile. “It was very nice meeting you, Ms Piers.” With that, he turned, positioned his chair back to its original place and proceeded to leave.

“Nice meeting you too.” she called after him just as he stepped out into the hallway.

He paused, and looked back at her, giving her an appreciative nod and smile, then continued on his way. He didn’t hold high hopes as far as the job was concerned, but at least he had a possible lead that may help him with his search for Laynett.


Geez Mel, where's the romance in that excerpt, where's the erotic, errrmmm... where's the freaking sexy bits? 

Stop complaining Yellow, sometimes you have to share pieces of the plot so people know what's going on. If I only share the sexy bits, I'll be out of material before the book comes out. We can't have that now can we? 

Thank you all so much for visiting me today, if your in the mood for more, please hit up a few of the wonderful wipsters listed below. 



8 comments:

  1. She's a cross between Witherspoon, Theron and Winslet? Woah. That's one helluva woman. Poor old Landon, though. Looks like he's having a tough time. I hope someone takes pity on him and gives him a job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yellow needs a spanking- she complained about sexy bits just like you did at me lol. Is it bad that I read "I visited with my pants...." ? And this after I removed a mention of boxers from my "How Many Chances" WIP- because can you really see The Queen/Onyx wearing boxers? This is a very interesting bit, even if plot and not exactly sexy- but there are lovely flirtatious moments in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onyx in boxers? Oh no, not at all. Lady A has striped him of all his clothes for the week.
      Thanks for enjoying the excerpt ☺

      Delete
  3. Yellow's a tad impatient, nothing like me, I can wait.... drums fingers and fidgets....;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Jaye. Thanks so much for stopping ☺

      Delete
  4. I love your conversations with yellow :-) Congrats on getting Deceptive Desires off to the publisher - that's always an awesome feeling.

    And it's so hard to keep ones eyes on the interviewer rather than on her "assets" :-)

    Quick question - were my fish on the blog when you dropped by - because they weren't there when I was there and right about now I don't need something else to go screwy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daryl.. and yes your fish were on your blog and as always I fed them. The yellow one was exceptionally hungry for some reason too.

      Delete