Friday, September 4, 2015

The Ways of the West with Kelly Dawson

Hi folks, I'd like to introduce you to a sweet, sassy and sexy friend of mine, Kelly Dawson. We're here talking about her new release The Ways of the West. A handsomely rugged cowboy named Johnny-who has no qualms about spanking- meets with Jessica, a spirited city girl who doesn't exactly know what shes in for when she finds herself tragically alone out on the wide open trails.

Come on in and have a seat, Kelly. Don't mind the clutter, Yellow's been slacking off a bit around here lately.


Maybe you should tell people why I've been slacking, Mel!


I'm afraid that might embarrass you more than me, Yellow. Now be good or I won't let you ask Kelly your question.

So, back to you Kelly, is there anything I can have Yellow bring for you while we visit and talk about your hot new release? Coffee? Tea? Tequila?


Kelly: LOL, no Mel, I've brought a bottle of water with me, I'm good.


Mel: Okay, let's start off with a few questions. How do you feel about being a romance author and where do you find your best sources of inspiration?


Kelly: Being a romance author is a dream come true for me! I find inspiration everywhere – a scene from a movie might spark an idea, news articles … real life … my over-active imagination is always working, turning life into stories.


Mel: What’s the best advice you’ve been given so far about your writing?

Kelly: Just keep writing, and don't give up.

Mel: I couldn't agree more. ☺ Do you ever find yourself calling friends or family members by your characters' names?

Kelly: Not so far, but I do talk to my characters out loud sometimes, in front of friends and family.

Yellow: Is it my turn yet, Mel? I have a great question for Kelly.

Mel: Okay, Yellow, is it in good taste?


Yellow: Actually, Mel, it is. Kelly, if you and Mel were having lunch at Olive Garden and Mel started drinking her soup right from the bowl, what would you do?

Kelly: Ha-ha-ha! I'd pick up my soup bowl and join her! I’ve always wanted to display really bad manners in public and that would be the perfect excuse!

Har-Har, Yellow, Har-Har!

Mel: Let's move onto Johnny and Jessica. What scrumptious little teaser did you bring with you today, Kelly.

Kelly: Glad you asked Mel. I think you're gonna like this one.

She felt a hand on her shoulder, then Johnny was in front of her, wrapping his arms around her, bringing her in close to his broad chest. She could feel the roughness of his vest brushing against her cheek and she pressed her face up against him seeking what little comfort he offered. “I should be dead too!” she sobbed, her voice muffled by Johnny’s shirt. “If I hadn’t argued with father and walked out of camp, I would be dead!”
“Shhhh,” Johnny whispered, rubbing her back gently.
“My last words to my father were angry ones,” she cried. “We argued over some work he thought I should be doing, even though I was ill he thought I should be working. I resented being forced into working so hard by being out on the trail. I reminded him that I’d never wanted to come out here, that I’d been happy in Boston, had suitors courting me… he threatened to take a strap to me.” She choked on a sob. It had been years since her father had taken a strap to her, even since he’d threatened to do it – that’s why she had ignored his threat and continued storming out of camp – the action that had ultimately saved her life.
“I know,” Johnny said softly.
“You know?” she asked in horror, embarrassed. “You heard father threaten me and treat me like a child?”
Johnny nodded. “I did.”
Jessica groaned, burying her face against Johnny’s shirt again. “I want to die,” she whispered, her words barely audible.
But Johnny heard them. “What an awful thing to say!” he scolded. “The good Lord spared you for a reason, you should be grateful!” He pulled her back off his chest so he could look into her eyes, shaking her gently. “I don’t want to hear any more of that talk!”
“It’s easy for you to say,” Jessica sniffed. “You’re not all alone in the wilderness with absolutely nothing.”
“Neither are you,” Johnny pointed out. “You’re not alone, you’ve got me.”    “And why would you be interested in letting me tag along with you? I’ve got nothing. No clothes, no money, no food, no water, not even a horse. I’ll just be a hindrance to you. Just go. Go, and leave me here to die.”    Johnny shook her again. “You listen here little lady or I’ll take you across my knee and tan your britches like your daddy shoulda done,” he growled. “I’m not leaving you here to die, you’re coming with me. I’ll take care of you. I’ll protect you. My mama raised me better than to leave a beautiful lady alone in the wilderness.”
“How dare you!” Jessica exclaimed, outraged, her grief forgotten for the moment.

“How dare I what?” Johnny chuckled. “Take care of you?”    Jessica wrestled out of his grasp and stood away from him, staring up at him, her hands on her hips. “No! Threatening to spank me!” she clarified angrily.    Johnny chuckled again. “You behave yourself and you won’t have nothing to worry about. I’m a man of my word. As I said, I’ll take care of you. But if I think you deserve it, I won’t hesitate to tan your backside. That’s the way I was raised, and just the kind of man I am.”

That's certainly telling it like it is. Oh if only more men were like Johnny! Buy links, Kelly, where are the buy links?

Um, don't you want the blurb first, Mel?

Oh yeah, the blurb... but, honestly, Johnny had me at "You're coming with me. I'll take care of you. I'll protect you" I just love a take charge kind of man.


The blurb...

Orphaned by an attack on her family’s wagon train, Jessica finds herself stranded a thousand miles from Boston, the only home she has ever known. Only one man—a rough, dusty cowboy named Johnny—stands between her and the perils of the west, and he quickly makes it clear that he is ready to do whatever needs to be done to keep Jessica safe, whether she likes it or not.

When the unlikely pair stumble upon a cattle drive and they are both offered employment, Johnny doesn’t hesitate to accept. But after Jessica loudly expresses her disdain for his plan and for cowboys in general, Johnny decides it is time for drastic action. After a hard, embarrassing spanking followed by a tearful apology to the trail boss, Jessica is left with a sore backside and a strange yet undeniably powerful need to be held close and comforted by her handsome protector.

With Johnny by her side—and claiming an ever bigger place in her heart with each passing day—Jessica begins to adjust to life on the trail. But a cattle drive is a dangerous place for anyone, let alone a city girl with a penchant for disobedience. If he ever wants the chance to make Jessica his wife, Johnny knows he’s going to have to take her firmly in hand before she gets herself hurt or killed. Even if it means a painful, humiliating bare-bottom strapping she’ll never forget, one way or another he’ll teach her the ways of the west.


Okay, now where can we get our hands on this delightful little morsel?

Amazon Barns and Noble All Romance and Kobo

Kelly before you go finish this sentence. I will stop writing when...

Kelly: I die. I’ve been writing since I was old enough to hold a pen (spanking stories, in the back of colouring books – my poor mother nearly died of fright! She’s an avid reader of my blog now.) I can’t see myself stopping anytime soon.

Oh goodness, I'd love to take a gander at some of your old coloring books. ~grins~

Where else can folks find you?
Google Amazon Pintrest Twitter Facebook Kelly's blog and Goodreads 

Thanks for stopping by folks. I hope you all have a wondrous weekend and enjoy Kelly's newest book.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me! I think I'm in love with Yellow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Kelly. I think you just made Yellow blush... ~giggles~
      I'm really enjoying your new book ☺

      Delete