Monday, February 9, 2015

A new twist on spanking romance with Cara Bristol and Reasonable Doubts



Hi Folks. I have Cara Bristol here with me today sharing a bit about her awesome self and her newest release in the Rod and Cane series, Reasonable Doubts

First off, I'd just like to mention how much a really admire Cara not only for her talented, hot imagination, but for who she is as an author. Her blog is always full of fun and useful information for readers and fellow authors alike. I admire her devotion to sharing with people not just her books, but also part of herself and who she is. As a relatively new author, I have learned much from stalk... errr, I mean following Cara around online through her online links, which you'll find below after our chat. 

Hi Cara. Welcome to my tiny corner of the web, feel free to make yourself comfortable. I picked up a bottle of Spanking Bottom Red Wine for your visit today. Would you like a glass?

Thanks, Melody, I'd love a glass, but a very small one.


I know you've probably been asked this before, but what made you decide you wanted to become an author?

It was a natural evolution. I’ve always written. I secretly loved writing term papers in school. I have a degree in journalism and worked as a newspaper reporter before going into public relations. It wasn’t until I left journalism that I started to write fiction—I wrote so much on the job, I didn’t want to do it when I got home. I started writing erotic romance in 2009. Before that, I wrote mainstream women’s fiction.
'Secretly loved writing term papers'... lol. Where's your favorite place to write?

In my home office. I have a wonderful office that is all mine, mine, mine. LOL. Until just a few years ago, my husband and I shared not only an office, but also a computer. When romance writing became a full-time career, I got my own space (and computer).

Oh, sharing an office sounds like it could have it's advantages ☺, but I certainly understand having a space of your own when it comes to submerging yourself in a good story. What is the best piece of advice anyone has ever given you concerning your writing career?

All of the conventional advice for success has turned out to be on the mark. Write the next book. Write a series. Be persistent. To others, my advice would be this: building a writing career is like investing for retirement. Making steady, sound investments is the best way to accumulate a nest egg. Sure, a rare few win the lottery, but buying Lotto tickets is a not a good retirement plan. Likewise, you need to make steady investments in your writing career, building it book by book, reader by reader. “Get successful quick” schemes won’t work.

You hear that, Yellow? Buying Lotto tickets isn't the way to go.

Sure it is, Mel. Look, I just won 50 bucks on this scratch off. 

Yeah, and how much have you spent this week on tickets to get that one winner? 
Um... 

Exactly! Starting today your credit card is frozen. Now that we have that settled, did you have a question for Cara? 

You're mean, Mel. And yes, I do have a question for Cara. 
You’re at the movies with a girlfriend and you step out for popcorn. When you return there’s a man you don’t know sitting in your seat next to your friend, what do you do?

I’d say hello! I’d wonder why my friend didn’t save my seat, but I wouldn’t make a stink, and would take the seat next to them.
Ha-ha,Yellow! You only asked that question hoping Cara would react like you did last week when you almost got banned from the theater, but we won't go into that now. I'm more interested in what Cara's writing schedule is like. What is a typical day for you, and what do you do when you get stuck on a story? 
I get up about 5 a.m., go straight to my computer and work until about 4 p.m. But in between, there are breaks (showering, breakfast, lunch, occasionally errands). I write 1-2 K per day, which takes 2-5 hours. If there is time left over, I work on promotion. I dedicate Sunday to blogging. If I have a novel in editing or one about to release, all that can shift.  When I get stuck writing, I take a walk. I walk 45-minutes to an hour every day anyway, so I can kill two birds with one stone. Getting away from the computer frees me to think about my story without feeling pressure to produce.
Wow, you get up before the sun. That's dedication and persistence. Have you ever not finished a story, if so, please explain.

Funny you should ask. I’ve completed and published seventeen erotic romance titles. Sitting in my computer are four completed, but unpublished novels and a collection of short stories from the  days when I wrote women’s fiction.  About 25 years ago, I pantsed 200 pages of a dystopian science fiction novel and then stalled out. I didn’t know where to go with the story, how to get to the end. I abandoned it for another hot idea, which became my “first” completed novel.  Since then, I’ve finished every single novel and novella I’ve started, but that unfinished one has haunted me. It’s the reason I dislike writing under contract and avoid it when I can. I much prefer to finish a novel, then submit it, rather than submitting a proposal. But I haven’t changed my writing method—I’m still a pantser.
You've really had quite an exciting journey as a writer. What's been the biggest challenge in your career so far? 

Getting over the initial hump of getting enough notice to sell books. I’m past that now (thank goodness), but it was really, really hard. Nobody has a crystal ball to know what works promotion wise and what won’t. You can work your ass off to no effect and then the smallest thing has an exponential impact. As a result, I don’t take my readers or book sales for granted. The moment you think you can rest on your laurels, you go “splat!”
Your hard work and dedication has certainly paid off. And I couldn't agree more about the guess work for promotions. The social networks are ever changing and challenging to keep up with. 
Considering our wine is almost gone, let's talk a little bit about your hot new release. What tempting morsel have you brought for us today.

I have an excerpt from Reasonable Doubts, the next Rod and Cane Society spanking romance. In the other Rod and Cane books, the hero introduces the heroine to spanking. For the first time, in Reasonable Doubts, the heroine has to tell the hero she wants to be spanked.

The Blurb:  Widow Liz Davenport assumes when she begins to date, her new man will be like her late husband--a member of the Rod and Cane Society and an experienced disciplinarian who can provide her with loving guidance she requires to feel grounded and secure. So why is she attracted to Grant Davis, an ex-Naval  JAG officer who works for her nemesis and has never spanked a woman in his life?
Events in his recent past have forced Grant to take stock of his life and try some new things. But spank a woman? He’s never considered that before, but with Liz’s coaching he’s willing to try.
But when the past collides with the present, will he be able to step up and become the disciplinarian Liz needs?

And the Except: “If you’re seeking a fun spanking, I can accommodate you. But I can’t hit you to punish you, Liz.”
That was a common hang-up for many men who’d been taught to never raise a hand to a woman. “Not hitting. Spanking. Paddling.”
“Hit you with a paddle?” He looked aghast now.
She said, spank, and he heard hit. Liz sighed, frustrated for feeling out of her element in a situation that had been her element her entire adult life. She’d never had to broach the subject with a man. How did other women deal with the issue?
Grant curved his arm around her. Thinking he intended to hug her, she curled against his chest, but he continued to exert pressure. “What are you doing?” she asked.
“Placing you over my lap.”
Her jaw dropped. “Are you serious?”
“It’s what you want, isn’t it?”
But—but—Liz peeked at him, but he wore his courtroom face. Unreadable. Did he desire this—or was he going through the motions to please her? Did she want to be spanked this way? Not coldly, more… dispassionately. Yet heat curled in her tummy. It had been so long since she’d been spanked. The few playful swats he’d given her the other night didn’t count.
Her body decided for her by melting into a submissive puddle over Grant’s lap. He smoothed his hands across her bottom, rubbing her cheeks through her clothes. “You do have a nice ass,” he said.
Her heart migrated to her throat where it drummed a rapid beat, as a familiar excitement zinged through her.
Cool air breezed across her skin when Grant raised her skirt to her waist. Another good sign: he adjusted her clothing without her having to prompt him. With his finger, he traced the line of her panties across her lower back and the tops of her thighs. Belatedly, Liz realized she wasn’t wearing her best underwear. Not her worst, thank goodness, but beige bikinis with an elastic band of lace for adornment qualified as more functional than sexy. But how could she have known she would be spanked today?
Grant smoothed his hands over her buttocks, a patch of rough skin on his palm catching on silk. His gentle touch electrified her, created a muscle-deep ache, a longing she could taste. Liz pressed her face against the sofa cushion and closed her eyes. Please, please. She wanted him to spank her so badly, but she’d made her case, and the decision rested with him. She couldn’t force him into being a spanko. He needed to step up and take control of the situation without any more instigation from her.
He hooked a thumb into the waistband of her panties. “Lift,” he ordered.

What a unique twist in spanking romance. This time it's the hero that's being introduced to the Spanking lifestyle. I have a feeling that Grant will turn out to be more than Liz ever expected.
Where can we go to get it, Cara?
Amazon US
Amazon UK | Amazon AU | Amazon CA |

Where are you going from here, Cara. What's in the works for your next book? 
The Goddess’s Curse, a fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal romance inspired by the mythological Amazon women will be published in March or April. I’ll have Rod and Cane 6 by summer. I’m also mulling over a historical time travel spanking romance and a couple of nonfiction possibilities.
Where else can folk's find you online?

Find Cara
Website /blog
Amazon Author Page
Sign up for Cara’s New Release Newsletter
Facebook
Twitter
Tsu
Google+ 

And there's Prizes too, Prizes, Prizes!
How would you like to become card-carrying member of the Rod and Cane Society? To receive a membership card, leave a comment for Cara about Reasonable Doubts or this blog AND your email address in the body of your comment. Cara will contact you to arrange to send you a membership card. This is not a drawing. Everyone who posts a comment with an email address can receive a card—as long as supplies last. In addition, by commenting on this blog and leaving an email address, you’ll be entered into a drawing for Rod and Cane coffee mug.


You can bet I'll be commenting. I love those mugs. I think it's so cool that your creating accessories for your books. I can see myself settling down on a cold winters night with a mug of coco in my Rod and Cane mug while reading Reasonable Doubts. 

Thanks for visiting folk's, I hope you enjoyed this post and will enjoy Reasonable Doubts even more. Don't forget to comment for one of the cool cards and mugs. 

13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing a little about yourself and your new release on my blog today, Cara. This interview was a lot of fun. melodyparks90 at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melody for having me!

      Delete
  2. Great interview, I learned some new things about Cara. Hi Cara, I'm Awed about you being so disciplined In your writing. I'm looking forward to Your new SiFi and I love time travel so I hope You do one.
    BTW, have you had a chance to send me the mug and my membership card yet?
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel. And congratulations on winning a mug and a card.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Laurel. No, not yet. Melody's interview is one of the last ones that allows people to qualify. I'm going to mail them all out at once.

      Delete
  3. Nice interview. You're right, Melody, Cara does share a lot of helpful hints. Thank you, Cara :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some excellent advice from Cara. Thanks for sharing this with us Melody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to visit, Kallista ☺

      Delete
  5. Great interview, ladies :)
    I can't even get myself out of bed that early, for coffee.
    Very admirable!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a morning person. I always have been. I love writing. I get up earlier now than I did when I had a corporate job.

      Delete